Education, Schools and Youth
Co-chairs: Sylvia Hamerman-Brown and Laura Line
The mission of the Spruce Hill Community Association Education Committee is to support the public education of the children and youth of Spruce Hill. The education committee promotes and supports academic achievement, recreational, and cultural activities that enrich the lives of those it serves. Additionally, the committee is dedicated to addressing the unique needs of the families of Spruce Hill area schools. Goals for every year are evolving and flexible based on current community needs.
Objectives for 2013-2014 include:
- Advocate for the best public school education possible for Spruce Hill families
- Develop a mechanism for eliciting community input in to the PAS School Advisory Council through the SHCA community representative on the SAC
- Keep the neighborhood aware of issues affecting public schools including helping to publicize efforts of other organizations
- Serve as an advocate for public education and the evolving needs of schools.
- Support extracurricular activities that augment the public school curriculum (e.g., arts programs and after-school programs that provide informal education opportunities and/or tutoring).